03 January 2011

The "Holidays" are for the Birds

Why do people always celebrate "The Holidays?"  You have Hanukkah which is a beautiful celebration of Hebrew Tradition.  You have Christmas, which is the birthday celebration of Jesus Christ.  Then there is Kwanzaa - a celebration of the African culture.  And last but certainly not least, there is the New Year's Day celebration - football at it's finest and another day off from work.  The only "holiday" in here is actually New Year's Day.  The others celebrations of culture and one birthday..they aren't holidays.  I suppose I should mention Boxing Day - December 26th as a holiday, because people have that off (unless you are in retail) and people shop 'till they drop, so technically that IS a holiday.  But not everyone has Boxing Day to celebrate, so it's really only one.  It's not here in the United States.  But you can find it in the UK and other countries - just not here.  So one holiday will have to do.
 This is what holidays mean to me.  It's a vacation on the West Coast of Ireland..in Connemara.  I've been all over the world with my family and as a travel agent, but I always seem to come back here to give me peace in my life.  I wind down, I relax and soak up the tranquil atmosphere that is the Wild West.  Mick and I find commonality here.  He was a seminarian in Galway, Ireland with the Redemptorists.  Back in the 70's, Mick and I were actually in the same place at the same time, but never met.
Yes, it seems rather odd, but that's how things sometimes happen.  But if asked where we would want to retire (other than the UK, of course), it would he here, with friends and family along the Atlantic sea coast.  There is something familiar about it, something historic and ancient.  While thoroughly modern, there is a laid back attitude and "Irish Time" we love.  There are places where time has stood still and I feel the generations of my family still with me as I walk along the rocky pathways near the shore.  The beach beacons as I trudge through the grasses, then onto the sand and the tide pools show me a world I never knew existed.  How fun to simply be and see God's handiwork everywhere I look.  What do I see here?  There are tiny sea creatures in the tide pools, plus wonderful shells and other sea debris.  There are tiny fish who seem to leap at me in joy.  The seaweed has unfurled itself in a dense green display, ever shifting as the tide washes over it. There is always something new to see here.


As I become older, my memories fade just a bit, but most of them are still vivid.  Ten years ago, my sister Deb and I made our sisters' pilgrimage to the Republic to see the sights and visit my old haunts.  It was wonderful.  We toured through the Waterford Glass Factory, stayed in THE most unusual and delightful B&B in Ardmore, County Waterford.  And of course, we had to spend a good deal of time at Ben View House in Clifden with my friends Eileen and Des Morris.  They grew up in the house.  Deb and I drove up to Westport and had lunch on the Quay.  We went to Kylemore Abbey and took hundreds of photographs.  We also went up to Sligo then back down to Kleggan and Clifden, all the while seeing the rugged coastline, the awesome mountain ranges and the plethora of sheep - many of them in the road as we drove!  Now that's what I call a holiday.
Clifden, Connemara, County Galway, Ireland from the bay 2000.


No comments:

Post a Comment